- Bachelor's Degrees
- Master's Degrees
- Master of Biological Sciences
- Master of Liberal Studies
- Master of Professional Studies in Addictions Counseling
- Master of Professional Studies in Arts and Cultural Leadership
- Master of Professional Studies in Horticulture
- Master of Professional Studies in Integrated Behavioral Health
Admission to the program is competitive and all applicant files are reviewed by committee to ensure a good fit for academic success. The committee does not make early admission decisions. Notification of admission decisions are made within four to six weeks after the application deadline. All application materials are due by the deadline; late applications will be considered for the next admission period.
The following items are required for admission:
- bachelor's degree from an accredited post-secondary US institution, or its foreign equivalent
- an undergraduate GPA of 3.0*
- at least three years of professional, volunteer, and/or advocacy work in the arts and cultural field
- online application and $75 application fee
- personal statement
- two letters of recommendation
- writing sample
- updated resume or CV
The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is not required.
* In exceptional circumstances, promising applicants with lower GPA may be considered for the program. Explanation for GPA, and evidence that academic success at the graduate level is achievable, must be addressed in the application (extenuating circumstances).
You may be allowed to transfer up to 12 credits of previous graduate-level course work (credits must appear on a graduate transcript) from other institutions, as determined by the ACL Director of Graduate Studies.
October 1 for Spring Admission
March 1 for Fall Admission
- First, access the online application.
- For the question, “What is your proposed major and degree objective?”, choose: Arts and Cultural Leadership MPS under “Twin Cities Campus Programs.”
- All required application materials must be attached electronically to your application.
CCE staff is available to guide through the application process if you have questions. Contact the program at 612-624-4000 or email@example.com.
- Statement 1: Your personal statement (two to three pages, double-spaced) should describe your personal and/or professional goals, why you think the ACL program will help you achieve them, and how you plan to focus your program, including the particular issues and nuances of leadership you would like to explore.
- Statement 2: You may answer the questions asked; however, this statement is optional.
- Extenuating Circumstances: If your undergraduate GPA is below 3.0, you must provide an explanation.
Letters of Recommendation
Two letters of recommendation are required. Letters should be solicited from individuals who can provide a candid assessment of your abilities (including strengths and weaknesses), personality, character, and potential for graduate-level academic success and professional achievement. Read more about letters of recommendation.
Include a writing sample (10 pages) on any topic or genre that demonstrates critical thinking and analysis. If possible, include one sample of academic writing and one sample of written work from relevant work or volunteer experience.
Unofficial transcripts or academic records for each institution (even if you didn’t receive a degree) should be uploaded directly to the online application. International students should also upload an English translation if the transcript is not in English. If possible, make sure the institution has put your name on the transcript/record.
Resume or CV
Submit a current resume or CV.
The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is not required for admission.
A nonrefundable application fee of $75 must be paid on submission. Read more about fees and payment options.
If your native language is not English, please submit scores from the TOEFL, MELAB, or IELTS English proficiency examination. Read more about required scores.
- Required TOEFL scores are 84 or above, with section scores of at least 21 on writing and at least 19 on reading.
- Required IELTS score is 6.5.
For information on visa status, contact the International Student and Scholar Services office.
How to Register for Graduate-level Courses BEFORE Being Admitted to a Graduate Program
- Download and submit a Registration Request for Graduate Credit for Nondegree Students Form.
- Send the form to the department offering the courses for approval. This form must be used each term until you are admitted to a program.
- Upon approval, the department offering the graduate course will forward the form to the registrar or provide you with further instructions.
- You will receive confirmation and payment instructions by mail and e-mail.
Credit courses taken before admission may be applied toward this degree under the following conditions:
- The course must be graduate-level (4xxx-level or above).
- You must register for graduate credit as a non-admitted graduate student and pay graduate level tuition.
Please note the following:
- Registration for non-admitted students is not available online.
- The ACL program may accept up to 12 previously earned graduate credits.
More information can be found on the One Stop page for non-admitted students.
How to Search for a Course
You can review available courses via the One Stop class schedule. If you select the course from a catalog, double-check One Stop to make sure none of the information has changed.