Intensive English Program
The University of Minnesota has been offering high-quality English as a Second Language (ESL) courses since 1968. Our Intensive English Program combines language skills development, experiential learning, and the use of technology to help you reach your goals.
- If you would like to apply to the IEP, you must be a high school graduate, at least 17 years old, and able to speak, understand, read, and write English well enough to benefit from a class taught entirely in English.
- The program is offered every fall, spring, and summer.
- Tuition and fees vary depending on semester and whether you are enrolled full- or part-time.
- Housing arrangements must be made by the student.
- Check out a few Sample Schedules to see what your week might look like.
- Full-time classes (typically 25 hrs./week) at the high beginning, intermediate, and advanced levels
- Rigorous, academically focused classes
- Friendly, highly skilled teachers
- Small classes
- Advising and support services designed for international students
- Access to the University's many resources and facilities
- An urban campus in an attractive, medium-sized city with ample cultural and entertainment opportunities
- Noncredit courses: University admission not required