FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
What kind of support is available for ACL students?
Students in the ACL program receive ongoing academic support from a team of dedicated professionals, inclduing:
- Personalized academic advising
- Mentoring and instruction from leading practitioners in the field
- Registration and operations support from admission through graduation
- Resources for writing and research
In addition, our small, focused program seeks to create a close community of learners connected through shared courses, and through opportunities to collaborate on and lead projects, programs and events.
How long does it take to complete the degree?
Due to sequencing of courses, the 30-credit program is most often completed part-time over three years, but is flexible enough for those requiring more time.
When are courses offered? Are they in person or online?
ACL courses are offered in the evenings, in person, and throughout the year (fall, spring, and summer terms). Elective courses can be offered in the day, on weekends, or in the evenings, depending on the subject area. Most electives meet in person though some are available online. A range of elective options are available throughout the year.
What is an area of specialization?
The ACL degree includes 12 elective credits in an area of specialization or personalized focus area. Popular areas of specialization include Museum Leadership; Organizational Leadership; and Culture, Place, and Community Leadership. Students may also create a self-designed focus.
Can I take an ACL course if I am not in the program?
Priority in ACL seminars is given to students admitted to the ACL degree program. If you are:
- Not admitted to the ACL program, you may register on a space-available basis;
- Not admitted to a graduate program but wish to earn graduate credit, call 612-626-8724;
- In a master's degree program at another institution, or other University college (other than the Graduate School), you should check with your graduate studies adviser before registering.
What is the cost of the ACL program?
Updated tuition information is available on our website.
Is financial aid available for the program?
Financial aid is available for admitted ACL graduate students. More information can be found on our website.