- For: Experienced HR professionals and managers preparing for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP certification exam
- Cost: $1,300
- CEUs: 3.6 CEUs plus certificate of completion from the College and SHRM
- Location: Continuing Education & Conference Center on the St. Paul campus of the University of Minnesota
- Meets: 12-week course, one night a week or every other weekday, supplemented by independent reading and online resources
Ensure you're prepared to become SHRM-certified with this dynamic and intensive program. Expand and test your knowledge and practical, real-life competencies in areas critical for HR career success. This course combines expert instruction with the 2017 SHRM Learning System, so you will learn faster, retain more knowledge, and stay on track for success on the exam.
"Whenever I hear colleagues are interested in HR certifications, I tell them about you and encourage them to take your class."
~ Jennifer Evans-Hall, Trainer & Development Manager, Lifeworks Services, Inc.
We offer the curriculum provided in the 2017 SHRM Learning System in partnership with the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), which is designed by global subject matter experts and covers the entire SHRM Body of Competency and Knowledge™ (SHRM BoCK™). The course includes application exercises, workbooks, and online resources to develop specific competencies and decision-making skills. Key topics to be covered include:
- Relationship Management
- Leadership & Navigation
- Global & Cultural Effectiveness
- Ethical Practice
- Business Acumen
- Critical Evaluation
|Less than a Bachelor's Degree||Bachelor's Degree||Graduate Degree|
|HR-Related Degree||Non-HR-Related Degree||HR-Related Degree||Non-HR-Related Degree||HR-Related Degree||Non-HR-Related Degree|
|SHRM-CP||3 years in an HR role||4 years in an HR role||1 year in an HR role||2 years in an HR role||Currently in an HR role||1 year in an HR role|
|SHRM-SCP||6 years in an HR role||7 years in an HR role||4 years in an HR role||5 years in an HR role||3 years in an HR role||4 years in an HR role|
|Or you are eligible to sit for the SHRM-SCP exam after one SHRM-CP recertification cycle|
- Applicants must show that they have worked in an HR role for more than 1,000 hours within a calendar year, which equates to one year of experience
- HR experience can be in an exempt or nonexempt capacity
- SHRM membership is not required to attain the new SHRM Certification
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Enroll in Our Course?
If you like face-to-face interaction and learn better as a participant in a structured, real-time environment, then this format is for you. You'll acquire the competencies and knowledge you'll need to effectively perform your job and achieve career success.
Our course is designed to help you learn and retain the material effectively and efficiently by combining the best exam preparation system with expert instruction and peer discussion. The class meets one night a week, or every other weekday in a classroom, up to 12 weeks supplemented by independent reading and online learning resources.
What do course fees include?
- A dynamic, interactive classroom environment that enhances learning.
- Curriculum covering the SHRM Body of Competency and Knowledge.
- Guidance from experienced instructors.
- Interaction and networking with other HR professionals.
- Classroom expectations and assignments to stay on track.
- Online resources, including a comprehensive test bank of exam questions, legislative updates, Webcasts, downloadable e-flashcards, and more.
What do I earn from the University of Minnesota and SHRM?
Participants earn certificates of completion from the University of Minnesota and the Society of Human Resource Management, as well as 3.6 Continuing Educational Units (CEUs). The University of Minnesota strongly encourages students to successfully prepare for the exam using the guidelines provided. To obtain your certificates and CEUs, you must attend at least 70 percent of the class, complete the required out-of-class assignments, and complete 70 percent of the pretests, posttests, and the final exam.